Was it all just a week ago? It seems like [just yesterday/months] ago! Now you can relive all 12 hours of They Might Be Playing They Might Be Giants 2018 for eternity — or until YouTube takes them down for copyright infringement. ENJOY!
The 2018 edition of They Might Be Playing They Might Be Giants on KMSU 89.7 FM in Mankato, Minn., was blessed with call-in interviews from THREE members of TMBG — Danny Weinkauf, John Linnell, and John Flansburgh!
Want to know what we played during They Might Be Playing They Might Be Giants 2018? HOO BOY is this your lucky day!
First of all, thanks to EVERYONE who entered the tmbg.love/coloring contest. It was fun to see the maps come in from around the world. The polls were open for fan voting during the final four hours of They Might Be Playing They Might Be Giants 2018, and then I picked some personal favorites as well.
All of the contest winners below will receive nifty limited edition “Ask Me About They Might Be Playing They Might Be Giants” buttons!
So what do you think? Should we do this again next year?
Your U.S. + World map FAN FAVORITES!
It may not surprise you that @disinvitedguest got a TON of votes for their meticulously-designed U.S. map submission. In their own words: “Each state is filled in with the album their first request came from. Some are dial-a-song blue since @TMBGdotLOVE hasn't listed them specifically with a played song yet.” That is some next-level, meta-TMBPTMBG stuff there.
@birdiesarecute’s world map entry was simply visually striking, and caught a lot of peoples’ eyes by focusing on the reason for the season — Flans and Linnell. Continentally-great work!
Our U.S. + World map DJ FAVORITES!
There were so many great submissions that it was impossible to pick just two — so I picked FOUR! The color, humor, attention to detail, and creativity of these just knocked it out of the park. Major kudos to @DuckBender, @abigailbash, @ericbolstridge, and @longtallweekend!
On Friday, December 14, 2018… From 6 am - 6 pm Central…
12 hours of They Might Be Giants by global request on KMSU 89.7 in Mankato, Minnesota, USA
Streaming online worldwide at KMSU.org and the TuneIn app!
Submit your TMBG requests and questions for the Johns at TMBG.LOVE
Both Flansburgh and Linnell are expected to call in during the day to chat!
“Why” you ask?
Because we’ve confirmed that John Flansburgh and John Linnell are both planning on calling in again during They Might Be Playing They Might Be Giants to chat and answer fan questions!
The Johns are the best!
Due to circumstances beyond our control, They Might Be Playing They Might Be Giants 2018 has been rescheduled to FRIDAY, DECEMBER 14!
This all-day TMBG day on KMSU is for YOU, and we apologize for any inconvenience.
Yeah, so KMSU 89.7 FM in Mankato, Minn., only dedicated 5.5 hours of their March 15, 2018 programming airwaves to They Might Be Giants requests... but to help make up for the day's 18.5 disturbingly non-TMBG hours, John Flansburgh & John Linnell popped in for a mind-blowing* live, in-studio interview. Enjoy the amazing tunes and wonderful Johns!
*Minds of non-John persons in the studio were blown. Your results may vary.
You thought we forgot to post the audio from They Might Be Playing They Might Be Giants 2017, didn't you? Well, we kinda did. Sorry about that.
FYI, if you're here just for the Johns interviews, they're both in Part Two -- Linnell around 3:16:23 and Flans around 4:14:09.
Oh, and yeah, we know that a few minute are missing between Parts One and Two -- 11 minutes and 34 seconds to be specific. The songs you miss in these recordings are Unpronounceable (#110), XTC vs Adam Ant (#111), I Should Be Allowed To Think (#112), and about half of Rabid Child (#113).
Sorry about that, too. If nothing else, we're pretty adept at apologizing.
The complete They Might Be Playing They Might Be Giants playlist from Nov. 17, 2017, broadcast 6 am-6 pm Central from the studios of KMSU 89.7 FM on the campus of Minnesota State University, Mankato.
1. Meet James Ensor (Mankato, Minnesota)
2. Letterbox (Scotland, UK; Everett, WA)
3. Snowball In Hell (Avoca, IA; New York, NY)
4. I've Got A Match (Estes Park, CO; Baltimore, MD; Ottawa, IL)
5. Hate the Villanelle (Baltimore, MD)
6. C is for Conifers (Minneapolis, MN)
7. She's an Angel (Saddle Brook, NJ; Newburyport, MA; Des Moines, IA; England; Little Ferry, NJ; Fargo, ND; Berkeley, CA)
8. They'll Need a Crane (Bath, England, UK; Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada; San Antonio, TX; Wilmington, NC)
9. Sleeping In The Flowers (Lincoln, NE; Houston, TX; Wilmington, DE; Berkeley, CA)
10. Sleep (Alabama)
11. Till My Head Falls Off (New Jersey; Cleveland, OH; Kingsport, TN; Boston, MA; Spooner, WI; Black Forest, CO)
12. Aaa (Gettysburg, PA; Newton, KS; St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada; Little Ferry, NJ)
13. Siftin' (Nashville, TN)
14. Too + 3 R One (Ocean Grove, NJ)
15. Sally Boy Candy Bar (Columbus, OH; Washington, DC; Louisville, KY)
16. Metal Detector (Glasgow, Scotland; Columbus, OH)
17. Meet James Ensor
18. Marty Beller Mask (Tracy, CA)
19. When Tornados Take Over The World (Saratoga Springs, UT)
20. Hell Hotel (Suquamish, WA; McDonough, GA; Baltimore, MD)
21. Welcome To The Jungle (Buffalo, NY)
22. I Should Be Allowed To Think (Giv'at Shemu'el, Israel; Mankato, MN)
23. Sensurround (Baltimore, MD; Huddersfield, England; Toledo, OH; Missoula, MT)
24. Memo to Human Resources (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; North Carolina)
25. The Guitar (The Lion Sleeps Tonight) (Fairmont, MN; Madison, WI; Bethlehem, PA; Madagascar)
26. It's Not My Birthday (Oklahoma City, OK; Middle Swan, Western Australia, Australia; Austin, Texas, United States)
27. Too Cool Girl (Asheville, NC)
28. Fun Assassin (Chicago, IL)
29. Disappointing Show (Holland, MI)
30. Pet Name (Australia; Chesterton, IN)
31. Pencil Rain (Kuranda, Queensland, Australia; Indianapolis, IN; San Diego, CA)
32. The End of the Tour (Canada; Cincinnati, OH; Holland, MI; Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada; Santa Cruz, CA; Argentina)
33. Another First Kiss (Findlay, OH)
34. Meet James Ensor
35. Rhythm Section Want Ad (Toledo, OH)
36. Sensurround (Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers) (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia)
37. Monsters of Mud (Livonia, MI; Pierre, SD; Baltimore, MD)
38. Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal (Estes Park, CO; Lindenhurst, IL; Kingsport, TN; Albany, NY; Chesterton, IN)
39. Spiraling Shape (Dallas, TX; San Antonio, TX; Michigan; South Carolina)
40. I Love You For Psychological Reasons (Manchester, UK; Pendleton, OR; Philadelphia, PA)
41. Whistling In The Dark (Tallahassee, FL; Dublin, Ireland; Bethlehem, PA)
42. Authenticity Trip (Fanwood, NJ)
43. Answer (Las Cruces, NM; Baltimore, MD)
44. Dirt Bike (with The Other Thing Brass Band) (Mankato, MN; Kalamazoo, MI)
45. Moving to the Sun (Glenmoore, PA; United Kingdom)
46. Sleepwalkers (Buffalo, NY)
47. Out of Jail (Barstow, CA)
48. Meet James Ensor
49. Mrs. Train (Boston, MA; Madison, WI; Chesterton, IN)
50. Thunderbird (Topeka, KS; Cleveland, OH; Savannah, GA; Des Moines, IA; Pittsburgh, PA; Baltimore, MD)
51. Lie Still, Little Bottle (Evanston, IL)
52. To a Forest (Ventnor City, NJ)
53. Twisting (Cleveland, OH)
54. Dr. Worm (Monrovia, CA; Madison, WI; Phoenix, AZ; Madrid, Spain; Columbus, OH; Vermont)
55. Cyclops Rock (Huddersfield, UK; Sacramento, CA; Saratoga Springs, NY)
56. Space Suit (Maryland)
57. Leeds (Leeds Irish Center) (Leeds, UK)
58. Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love (Brighton, UK)
59. Mono Puff - Unsupervised, I Hit My Head (Richmond Hill, Queens, NY; Missoula, MT)
60. Birdhouse In Your Soul (Tonight Show) (Chaitén, Región de Los Lagos, Chile; Santa Clara, CA)
61. Things I Like To Do (Kennebunk, ME)
62. Karate! (Kennebunk, ME)
63. No One Knows My Plan (Albany, CA; St. Peter, MN; North Carolina; Manchester, CT; New York, NY; Queens, NY)
64. Don't Let’s Start (Portland, OR; Tennessee; St. Charles, MO; Berkeley, CA)
65. Experimental Film (Georgia; Brazil)
66. Stalk of Wheat (Texas)
67. I Palindrome I (Savannah, GA; Mankato, MN)
68. Meet James Ensor
69. Robot Parade (North Carolina)
70. Rat Patrol (Bloomington, IN)
71. Snowball in Hell (Avoca, IA; New York, NY)
72. Canada Haunts Me? I’ll Be Haunting You? (the Upside Down?)
73. Reprehensible (Des Moines, IA)
74. Destination Moon (Astrakhan, Russia; High Point, NC)
75. Token Back To Brooklyn (Melbourne, Australia; Chesterton, IN)
76. Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head (Newburyport, MA)
77. Museum of Idiots (San Antonio, TX; Hot Springs, AR)
78. I Blame You (Brookline, MA)
79. Bangs (Durham, NC; San Luis Obispo, CA; Chicago, IL; San Diego, CA)
80. How Can I Sing Like A Girl? (Appleton, WI)
81. The Alphabet of Nations (Bethlehem, PA)
82. John Linnell - Lincoln (Veldhoven, The Netherlands)
83. The Mesopotamians (Boise, ID; Derbyshire, UK)
84. John Linnell - Nevada (Reno, NV)
85. Everything Right is Wrong Again (Hasede, Lower Saxony, Germany)
86. Meet James Ensor
87. Omaha (Sokol Auditorium) (Omaha, NE)
88. Where Do they Make Balloons? (Mankato, MN)
89. Window (Pasadena, MD)
90. Working Undercover For The Man (Fairbanks, AK)
91. Hall of Heads (Honolulu, HI; Chesterton, IN)
92. Stormy Pinkness (Missoula, MT; Barstow, CA; St. Peter, MN; Kansas City, MO; Baltimore, MD)
93. Careful What You Pack (Israel; Morgantown, WV)
94. The Vowel Family (Lyman, ME)
95. Nightgown of the Sullen Moon (Saltillo, MS; Montevallo, AL; Louisville, KY; Washington, DC; San Diego, CA)
96. New York City (Evanston, IL; Bristol, UK; Newton, KS)
97. Become a Robot (McDonough, GA)
98. Los Angeles (Maryland)
99. Drinkin’ (Australia)
100. You're on Fire (Maryland; Scotland, UK; Kansas City, MO; Madrid, Spain, Wilmington, DE)
101. Bills Bills Bills (Vienna, Austria)
102. Ana Ng (Parañaque City, Manila, The Philippines)
103. Meet James Ensor
104. Fingertips (Albert Lea, MN; Kalamazoo, MI; Rhode Island; Gaylord, MI; Hanson, MA; Baton Rouge, LA)
105. Black Ops (Brooklyn, NY; Spooner, WI)
106. She Was A Hotel Detective (Maryland; North St. Paul, MN; Shrewsbury, UK)
107. I Was Dancing In A Lesbian Bar (Indianapolis, IN; Newton, KS; Chesterton, IN)
108. John Linnell - West Virginia (Morgantown, WV; Mankato, MN)
109. Darlings of Lumberland (Israel)
110. Unpronounceable (Wake Forest, NC; Syracuse, NY; Austin, TX)
111. XTC vs Adam Ant (New Mexico)
112. I Should Be Allowed To Think (Mankato, MN; Giv'at Shemu'el, Israel)
113. Rabid Child (Iowa; Baltimore, MD)
114. Call You Mom (Liverpool, England, UK; Basel, Switzerland)
115. Tubthumping (Owls Head, ME)
116. Narrow Your Eyes (Harrisonburg, VA)
117. Meet James Ensor
118. Let Your Hair Hang Down (Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada)
119. See The Constellation (Seattle, WA)
120. I'm a Coward (South Carolina)
121. Racist Friend (Denver, CO)
122. Am I Awake? (Wyoming; Baltimore, MD)
123. Man, It's So Loud In Here (Kansas City, MO; Baton Rouge, LA; Cleveland, OH; Mankato, MN; Manchester, CT; Madison, WI; London, England, UK)
124. Electronic Istanbul (Not Constantinople) (Huron, SD; St. Louis, MO)
125. Hovering Sombrero (Kansas City, MO; Peterborough, England, UK)
126. Spy (Peterborough, England, UK)
127. The Bells Are Ringing (Maryville, TN)
128. Climbing The Walls (Guatemala City, Guatemala; Syracuse, NY)
129. Dead (Michigan; Norman, OK; Texas; Bethlehem, PA)
130. She's an Angel (live) (Fargo, ND; Berkeley, CA; Newburyport, MA; Des Moines, IA; England; Little Ferry, NJ)
131. Meet James Ensor
132. Dinner Bell (Eagle River, AK)
133. We Want a Rock (Bloomington, IN; Byron, MN)
134. When It Rains It Snows (Missoula, MT)
135. Big Big Whoredom (Belgrade, Serbia)
136. Thermostat (Albuquerque, NM)
137. My Evil Twin (Wessington Springs, SD)
138. San Francisco (San Francisco, CA)
139. Certain People I Could Name (West Caldwell, NY; Seattle, WA; Sleepy Eye, MN; Warren, RI; Hopkins, MN; Swansea, MA; Baltimore, MD)
140. Ana Ng (Live) (Seattle, WA)
141. Older (Philadelphia, PA; Mankato, MN)
142. Damn Good Times (Wilmington, DE)
143. Planet of the Apes (Union, NJ)
144. Return to the Planet of the Apes (Union, NJ)
145. Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (Union, NJ)
146. Escape from the Planet of the Apes (Union, NJ)
147. Battle For The Planet of the Apes (Union, NJ)
148. Beneath the Planet of the Apes (Union, NJ)
149. This Ape's For You (Union, NJ)
150. Meet James Ensor
151. Four of Two (Oxnard, CA; Hauppauge, NY)
152. Cloisonné (Portland, OR)
153. Don't Cross the Street in the Middle of the Block (The Whims of Fate)
154. Oranges (Albert Lea, MN)
155. Minimum Wage (Toronto, Ontario, Canada; Texas; Champaign, IL)
156. Boss of Me (Colchester, VT)
157. I Am Alone (McMurdo, Antarctica; Austin, TX; Madison, WI; Minneapolis, MN; Baltimore, MD)
158. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) (Lebanon, NH)
159. Turn Around (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; Clearwater, FL; Washburn, WI)
160. The Guitar (Outer Planet Remix) (Wake Forest, NC)
161. Snail Dust (Bridgewater, MA)
162. John Linnell - House of Mayors (Chesterton, IN)
163. Meet James Ensor
JOHN LINNELL INTERVIEW
164. Purple Toupee (Mankato, MN; San Diego, CA; Swansea, MA; Ruston, LA)
165. Moles, Hounds, Bears, Bees, and Hares (Jokkmokk, Sweden)
166. Piece of Dirt (Storrs, CT)
167. I've Got A Fang (Leeds, UK; San Diego, CA)
168. Cloisonné (Dial-a-Song Vocal Only Version) (Portland, OR)
169. Particle Man (Bethlehem, PA)
170. Can't Keep Johnny Down (Kansas City, MO; Spain; St. Charles, MO)
171. Meet James Ensor
JOHN FLANSBURGH INTERVIEW
172. Sensurround (S-E-X-X-Y EP Version) (Pawtucket, RI)
173. The Bird of the Bee of the Moth (Mankato & Minneapolis)
174. The Statue Got Me High (Shorewood, IL; Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada; Des Moines, IA; Manchester, CT; Berkeley, CA; Missoula, MT)
175. Why Does The Sun Shine? (Champaign, IL)
176. Starry Eyes (Chesterton, IN)
177. End of the Tour (Santa Cruz, CA; Argentina; Holland, MI; Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada)
They Might Be Giants fans sing the band's classic song "Fingertips" at KMSU during #TheyMightBePlayingTMBG Day on November 17, 2017. From left to right: Shelley, Ocho, Chantill, and Tim.